Wednesday, June 21, 2006

'Renfield,' new Hambly-Effinger work out soon

"Renfield," Barbara Hambly's new horror novel about Dracula's colleague, will be published Sept. 5, 2006. The ISBN is 0425211681 and Amazon is taking orders. Although the book is being published under Hambly's name, it is actually a collaboration between herself and her former husband, George Alec Effinger.

As Hambly wrote in an e-mail to me last year, " ... starting when he got the idea in 1995, George had been talking about writing a novel about Renfield, Dracula’s bug-eating henchman. We outlined it together, and he got about two chapters finished, which were largely unusable because by that time he was too ill to really focus. However, as soon as I cleared a little time for myself after his death, I took over that manuscript and rewrote it from his notes and our remembered conversations. Since I did most of the work, though the original idea was his, RENFIELD is coming out under my name (for reasons having to do with publishing and marketing – I wanted to have both our names on it and the publishers nixed that very firmly), probably next year sometime.”

Hambly herself is a very good writer (see my post below) so this is rather promising news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home